Tuesday, December 14, 2010
























I've returned at last after an awfully long hiatus! I had been terribly busy with school (final exams), and I've just come back from a little trip to New York City. I'll post a few pictures. I know that this blog was meant to be mostly about books, but I simply don't have time to read with regularity and so sadly my book postings will be sparse. However, I do intend to continue posting reviews of the books I read. I'm currently reading several books, and a new review should be up soon. Gulliver's Travels, The Screwtape Letters, and Mansfield Park are all resting on my nightstand. There are only a few chapters left for me in Gulliver's Travels and The Screwtape Letters, so expect one of those. It's sort of odd that I'm finishing Gulliver's Travel's just as the movie is about to be released. It was not at all planned, in fact I had no knowledge that a film was being made until very recently. Although I will probably go see the film eventually I'm a bit skeptical about it. Gulliver's Travels is not really a comedic novel... in fact as fanciful as the subject matter is, it's rather dry... However, it seems like movie makers have run out of inspiration and are looking to literature for new material. Oh well, I'm not too bothered by it because honestly I haven't enjoyed Gulliver's Travels very much. By the way, there's going to be a new Jane Eyre film released this coming March! Mia Wasikowska will be playing Jane and Michael Fassbender will be playing Mr. Rochester. From what I've seen in the trailer the film looks quite promising. I read somewhere that the film will focus on the gothic nature of the novel, which is really exciting for me! I think a good Jane Eyre film is needed. There have been many movies made already, and while some have been true to the story, none have had the ability to appeal to anyone outside of fans of the novel. Jane Eyre is a really beautiful story and I think it deserves recognition in the film world. The Pride and Prejudice made with Keira Knightly is an excellent example of a successfully executed period/classic literature film. I know that most fans of the book still prefer the Colin Firth film, but I know many people who have never read classic literature, and probably never will who thoroughly enjoyed 2005's Pride and Prejudice. This is what I'm hoping will happen with the new Jane Eyre film. Don't misunderstand me, I love it when a film is true to the novel, but I also hate how low-budget and poor quality many of such films often are. Well I suppose that will be all for now :)

2 comments:

  1. oh dear, your photography deserves so much more attention. that second one of the mannequin and the buildings is one of the loveliest I've seen. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so kind, thank you! Yes, I was fascinated by those mannequins. They were the winter displays at Bergdorf Goodman.

    ReplyDelete