Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Tale of Two Cities

Well, I've begun reading my next book, A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. By the way, forgive me if I sound distracted, I'm watching The Mummy. I can't help but wish I was on some fabulous Egyptian adventure with Brendan Fraser in the 1940s... Anyway, back to Dickens. I'll be honest, the first few chapters are a bit dry. For about the first 30 pages it's difficult to discern a clear protagonist. In fact, chapters 1-3 feel rather like an introduction or a prologue. However, that being said, chapters 1-3 are also full of beautiful, insightful, moving passages. The passages are so lovely and perspicacious that they ought to be read several times over. I've only reached chapter 4, so I have little left to report. I'll be sure and update as soon as I've read further.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of DArkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only." -Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities (Chapter 1)


No comments:

Post a Comment